Subtitle

. . . . . . A place to contribute, exchange tips and ideas and find further info on the LDC group on Meetup.

Saturday 13 January 2024

A skirt toile

I wanted to try out this Lekala pattern 5687 and use up one of my stash fabrics. Just a quick and dirty project without expectation that I would be able to wear this. That's why I picked the fabric in the first place - pattern matching of the curved pieces to the dotted fabric is pretty much impossible.

I have worn this skirt a few times, but I am fully aware that the pattern distribution isn't the greatest. I'm not sure how often I'll wear it in future. In the garden certainly!  Not so much where people can see it though...

This is the skirt I ended up with:

The pattern is for a high-low skirt, like this:


This style is not for me, I didn't like the way it looked on me. The pattern website made the high-low contrast look quite minimal, that's not what the design is like.


How did I like the pattern?
I love the jigsaw puzzle element of this pattern, I think this could give a really interesting effect with unicoloured fabric and top-stitched pieces.  Not sure if you could stash-bust more easily because the smaller pieces could be cut out of odd shapes if you use remnants.

I didn't realise that these pieces would assemble a flat front and flat back piece. I expected this to make some kind of bell shape and was disappointed when it didn't.  I wonder if I could draft something like that?  Doing this with curved pieces would be tricky.  But that's a thought for another day.

If I had looked at the paper pattern pieces a bit closer I might have realised how much higher the front is in contrast with the back. I don't like this style, and feel it looks really dated.

If I make this again I am going to redraft the front to be longer, and suppress the low hem at the back to make both pieces the same length - and longer than my skirt when I chopped it off across.

It was a good project because I could figure out what the pattern is like "in real" and I used up the stash fabric that I didn't know what else to do with. That's a win-win in my book.

What have you sewn that turned out rather differently than you expected?  Do you have a garment that's very much of its time style-wise, did you change it in any way?  Please let us know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment for the LDC member who wrote the post to know that people are reading their posts. You should also be able to comment now if you are not a registered user.